The two dominant classes of bacteria in your intestinal flora are Firmicutes and Bacteroidetes one can cause weight loss while the other contributes to weight gain, find out which is which.
While the truth about gut flora is still emerging there have been multiple studies on the topic and for good reason. The health of your gut powers your overall well-being good or bad. It is all a matter of what you eat and perhaps do not eat.
If like me when you attempt to read the science about microbiome it can be difficult to understand I got you. I have done thorough research and written this article in terms we can both make sense of.
What Foods Feed Firmicutes - The Fat-Building Bacteria
The typical Western diet consists of foods that fuel firmicutes, bacteria that are known as the weight gain bacteria. Such a diet is heavy in fatty meats, sugar, and processed bad carbs. Let's not forget the junk food we love so much.
What Foods Feed Bacteroidetes - The Skinny Bacteria
Bacteroidetes thrive in the guts of those who eat vegetarian or plant-rich Mediterranean diets. Bacteroidetes contribute to a healthy lean body mass and aid in weight loss.
The Take Away
This is not to say that you have to be a strict vegetarian to benefit from the skinny bacteroidetes, you do not. But you do need to include such foods into your diet and be warned, they are a delicious addition.
What Are The Right Probiotics For Weight Loss?
Whether you want to lose weight or gain it the right probiotics must be introduced into your system.
If you want to lose weight probiotics are a powerful tool to do so and can also cause weight gain for those who need to put on a few pounds. Regardless of whether you want to gain or lose weight, this article is for you as I cover both.
How Firmicutes Cause Weight Gain
Firmicutes are good at converting food to energy and storing fat in the body.
In addition, firmicutes produce serotonin, the hormone that makes us feel good. The more you eat foods supporting firmicutes the more firmicutes flourish.
This can stimulate serotonin production which in turn boosts your mood. The Firmicutes effect can serve as a double-edged sword, making you feel better and increasing your cravings to eat more which contributes to weight gain.
If you are someone who wants to gain weight, get your gut health in check with a good probiotic and feed firmicutes with pizza, pasta, bread, and sugary foods. This is not a healthy diet and can result in diabetes, heart disease, certain cancers, obesity, and Alzheimer's
Please, weigh the odds and seriously consider embracing your slender build. Or eat healthy
What About Irregularity, Constipation, and Bloating?
If you are someone who struggles with irregularity, constipation, and bloating that too contributes to weight gain. Learn 6 ways to end the struggle.
Healthy Food Choices For Weight Gain
Why cover weight gain first? Because you are here and no doubt doing all the things to maintain more weight than you want finding yourself unable to lose those extra pounds. Let's learn why to better help you lose weight.
Eat healthier yet tasty options for weight gain. The Mediterranean diet is also a healthy choice for you. For weight gain include more calories, add more nuts, seeds, and fatty meats such as salmon, and chicken thighs, and bulk up your plate with potatoes, and sweet potatoes providing firmicutes with healthy sugars to store as fat.
Plus, eat several meals throughout the day, and enjoy a late-night snack of nuts, seeds such as sunflower or pumpkin seeds, and fruits.
Best Snack For Weight Gain and Building Firmucites
Best Snack For Building Gut Flora
Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
Why We Love Power Up Mega Omega Trail Mix
This little juggernaut is delicious and provides steady energy and is super healthy containing all the right stuff.
I keep this in my office, in the fridge for a cool treat when it's hot, and very often include a dish of Power Up Mega Omega with the glass of ice water or Kombucha I set on my nightstand every night.
I'm a super hydrator, I understand the vitality of doing so and enjoy the many benefits. I can't say enough about this product, I love Love LOVE Power Up!
For those of you with Costco memberships, they carry it both in the big bags and individuals.
We love this product find and we love the price!
The Take Away
If you are someone who needs to lose weight you must first understand what it is you are doing to prevent it. Eating a diet that supports firmicutes supports weight gain and prevents those who want to lose weight from doing so. Understanding how Firmicutes contribute to your struggle is part of the solution.
How Bacteroidetes Cause Weight Loss
Bacteroidetes are completely different and the reason so many enjoy a healthy slim weight when consuming a diet rich in the fuel that increases Bacteroidetes.
These skinny bacteria are efficient at breaking down bulky plant starches and fibers like those common in vegetarian or plant-rich Mediterranean diets.
Bacteroidetes convert these foods into energy the body immediately uses leaving nothing to be stored as fat. The wise person who said “You are what you eat” was really on to something and more so than they may have known.
You and your microbiome are what you eat and your gut flora determines whether you are fat or lean. So, what will you eat?
Plus if you are female you may be surprised to learn women struggle with constipation more than men. This can also contribute to weight gain.
How To Change Your Gut Flora For Weight Loss?
Choosing to change your diet for the long haul will change your gut bacteria resulting in healthy gut flora.
The following information explains how to help your gut flora achieve and maintain your ideal healthy weight.
The first thing to do is add a good probiotic to your daily routine.
Best Probiotic For Weight Loss
Physician's CHOICE Probiotics for Weight Management & Bloating
Why You Will Love Physician's CHOICE Probiotics for Weight Management & Bloating
If you are someone who struggles to lose weight or suffers from irregularity or constipation you can benefit from Physician's CHOICE Probiotics for Weight Management & Bloating.
This is the best probiotic for weight loss as it has been designed to support healthy gut flora that promotes weight loss and maintenance.
In addition, a good probiotic can help eliminate irregularity, constipation, and bloating.
Author Reviewed Probiotic for Weight Loss
This author was flabbergasted at the vast positive reviews of Physician's CHOICE Probiotics for Weight Management & Bloating, so much so that I had to try it for myself.
I'm a healthy person with a thriving microbiome and so I thought I would not feel the effects of this product.
On day one I felt it! I took it in the morning with my coffee and iced water at my desk. I had a phenomenal work day, I was productive and my creativity was on fire but in a good way.
I'm a high-energy person who tends to speed my buns off if taking a green tea supplement, or any stimulant. I drink green tea, it's my favorite but the supplements were just over the top. So I was concerned about the green tea extract in Physician's CHOICE Probiotics for Weight Management & Bloating.
To my pleasant surprise, it was a calm and mellow energy that flowed consistently throughout my day. I found myself doing much more each day both physically and mentally and without one bit of effort on my part, it just happened and seemingly naturally.
This author's long story short
- I am now subscribed to monthly shipments as I can't imagine being without this skinny probiotic.
- I was a bit skeptical about the price of Physician's CHOICE Probiotics for Weight Management & Bloating. It's very affordable, and cheap compared to those I once promoted and used. But it works better than anything I've ever tried.
- I went days without drinking coffee before I realized I had. I'm typically the person who heads for the coffee first thing, even before my shower. This is the first time EVER I didn't guzzle coffee. I've never been able to do this.
- I felt amazing, my gut health was already balanced but this supports the longevity of my gut flora, I lost weight which was not my goal, it just happened. I always feel better the thinner I am so win win win!
The Take Away
- Physician's CHOICE Probiotics for Weight Management & Bloating is cost-effective and affordable.
- It works and provides energy, focus, and weight loss
- It builds and sustains good healthy gut flora for overall good health and the ability to fight illness and disease all while finally helping you achieve your weight loss goals.
- And you do not have to refrigerate Physician's CHOICE Probiotics for Weight Management & Bloating. This is helpful when it comes to remembering to take it. When in the fridge it's kinda out of the way especially when you travel.
Starve the Bad Bacteria and Feed the Good
Once you have added a good probiotic the next step is starving the fat bacteria and feeding the skinny.
To stop fat-storing bacteria from sabotaging your weight-loss efforts remove empty carbs from your diet. Give the skinny bacteria (Bacteroides) foods they can thrive on such as healthy fiber, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, and legumes.
4 Ways To Lose Weight By Feeding Bacteroidetes
1. Losing Weight With Healthy Gut Flora
First, include a good probiotic in your daily routine and one geared for weight loss. Once you have added a probiotic geared for weight loss you will need to understand the best way to feed the skinny bacteria that promote weight loss and maintenance. Keep reading to get your strategy tight.
2. What To Feed Weight Loss Gut Bacteria
Second, become what I affectionately call a dirty herbivore, vegetarian or vegan. Simply put, eat either of the three diets except for the occasional but realistic cheating dribbled thought out your life.
I don't know about you but I just have to enjoy the occasional burger and fries, sometimes even onion rings as well. This is how skinny people do it. When you eat such foods make it a good quality choice.
Let’s face it, few people adhere to an optimal diet all the time. Every improvement made toward your goal diet is one with the highest chance of increasing those wonderful slimming bacteroidetes.
To do so you must eat a diet rich in the foods that support the skinny bacteria and avoid those that feed the fat-storing Firmicutes.
The science states that eating a vegetarian or plant-rich Mediterranean diet increases bacteroidetes and reduces firmicutes.
Remember a typical meat-packed Western diet does just the opposite, it increases firmicutes and could well be the reason, that no matter what you do to get thin and stay there, you fail.
One study found that when adding 14 grams or 0.49 ounces of fiber per day to your diet you can expect to lose 4 or more pounds in 3 to 4 months. It’s the accumulation of small accomplishments that builds something big.
14 grams or 0.49 ounces of fiber per day is not much at all and if you add more quality fiber and eliminate the bacteria-fat-building foods you can achieve more weight loss quicker.
What Foods Feed Bacteroidetes
- Provides a full satisfying feeling that curbs hunger.
- Soluble fiber also tackles irregularity and constipation.
- Adding high-soluble fiber foods to your diet can help improve the overall well-being of your gut health.
The recommended daily amount of soluble fiber is 38 grams for adults.
- Soluble and insoluble fiber adds bulk to the digestive tract for better bowel movements and serves as a good source of food for skinny bacteria in the large intestine.
Why Soluble Fiber is Important
In terms of weight loss and management soluble fiber is important.
- The more soluble fiber you eat the more gut satiety hormones are released which helps reduce and control appetite.
- Soluble fiber's power is the ability to draw water into your gut, softening your stools and thus supporting regularity of bowel movement and the elimination of constipation.
- Soluble fiber also lowers cholesterol and blood sugar levels. But not all fiber is created equal in terms of your digestive health and gut flora. Let's learn more...
Best Apple Pectin Supplement for Weight Loss
Feed bacteroidetes to lose weight using apple pectin
The List of Foods High In Soluble Fiber
- Topping the list is apples and beans, black beans are a great way to add substantial texture and flavor to your dishes.
- Apples, there is a lot of truth to the old saying, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Apples are packed with goodness and are a great source of soluble fruit pectin.
The health benefits of soluble apple pectin are;
- Weight loss, pectin is not digested by the body it therefore acts as a bulking agent without adding calories. Pectin and water create a gel-like substance that increases the feeling of fullness reducing the desire to eat more.
- Apple pectin reduces the absorption of cholesterol which results in weight loss.
- Improves gut health
- Regulates blood sugar
- Supports heart health as it inhibits the absorption of excess cholesterol in the stomach.
- Black beans contain pectin, which is a powerhouse of soluble fiber that transforms into a gel-like substance in water. This consistency delays the stomach from emptying so you feel full longer. This gives your body more time to soak up nutrients.
- Black beans are also a good source of protein, iron and are low in calories that are practically fat-free. 3/4 cup of black beans provides 5.4 grams of soluble fiber.
2. Lima beans or butter beans contain carbs and protein as well as a little fat.
- Lima's are lower in dietary fiber than black beans and yet their soluble fiber content is practically identical.
- Lima beans contain soluble pectin fiber which is known for reducing blood sugar spikes after eating a meal. The soluble fiber content in lima beans is 5.3 grams for 3/4 cup.
3. Brussels sprouts are a cruciferous vegetable that people either love or strongly dislike, but have you tried them raw and thinly sliced with salads?
- It is worth a try because this veggie is packed with vitamins, and minerals plus cancer-fighting abilities.
- Brussels are also a great source of fiber that feed beneficial gut bacteria. This love-it-or-leave-it vegetable contains vitamins K and B
4. Avocados are an excellent source of monounsaturated fats, potassium, vitamin E, and dietary fiber.
- Just one avocado provides 13.5 grams of fiber. One serving or 1/3 of an avocado serves up 4.5 grams of soluble fiber.
5. Sweet potatoes are a rich source of potassium, beta carotene, b vitamins, and fiber.
- One sweet potato alone provides more than 400% of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin A.
- The average sweet potato offers about 4 grams of fiber, with approximately half being soluble fiber.
6. Broccoli is high in vitamin K which is known for supporting your blood's ability to clot and is a good source of folate, potassium, vitamin C, and antioxidants with anticancer properties.
- Broccoli has high amounts of fiber with 2.6 grams per each 3.5 ounce serving half of which is soluble.
- Broccoli supports gut health by feeding good bacteria in your large intestine.
- The bacteria broccoli feeds produce the beneficial short-chain fatty acids butyrate and acetate.
7. Pears are an excellent source of fiber serving up 5.5 grams per medium-sized piece of fruit. The main form of soluble fiber found in pears is pectin.
9. Flax seeds add a smooth texture to smoothies, bread, baked goods, and cereals.
- Sprinkling just 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds on your salad, oats, fruit, and yogurt add 3.5 grams of fiber plus 2 grams of protein.
Other foods high in fiber that contribute to a good source of soluble fiber include kidney beans, figs, nectarines, apricots, sunflower seeds, hazelnuts, oats, and carrots.
The Best Bread For Gut Health
Let's face it living a life without bread is a hard or even impossible existence to fathom. So I say let them eat BREAD!
The healthiest bread that supports the beneficial fat-fighting bacteria bacteroidetes is Sourdough Bread.
If you are someone who would like to learn to make your own sourdough bread at home I am happy to share my personal blog on making sourdough bread using cup measurements.
Check out my sourdough bread blog to learn how to make it yourself using cup measurements.
Sourdough breadmaking is an art form that has been trending for many years now and for good reason. It is fulfilling in many ways, it is delicious, good food for healthy gut microbiome, and fun to make.
I'm talking sustainable sourdough bread made with local, organic flour as it is perhaps the most gut-healthy bread you can enjoy.
When buying sourdough bread find local farmers markets or bakeries that do it themselves and use a sustainable fermented sourdough starter.
Most commercial bakers use artificial flavoring to mimic the taste which is not beneficial to your health or gut. It's just white bread, and that's a bad carb!
The Take Away
Diet is crucial to building and feeding good gut flora. Supporting the weight loss bacteria bacteroidetes is the key to breaking the code to fat and bloated once and for all.
3. Intermittent Fasting Helps Maintain Healthy Gut Flora and Weight Loss
Recent studies find that intermittent fasting can change the gut by increasing the diversity of good bacteria and microbial remodeling. It is when fasting that a particular family of anaerobic bacteria known as Lachnospiraceae flourish.
Third avoid unnecessary antibiotics. Antibiotics can wipe out all the good bacteria while taking out the bad.
Medications you are prescribed aren’t the only culprit to be aware of that can wreak havoc on your gut flora. The foods you eat are also affected by antibiotics fed to chickens, cows, eggs, and dairy.
The Take Away
Eating too often does not allow your gut time to rest and reboot. Intermittent fasting is quickly becoming another of the amazing health finds we are learning that contribute to overall good health and gut health both promoting weight loss and healthy weight maintenance.
4. Eat Organic and Antibiotic Free Food
Dairy cows are forced to give unnatural quantities of milk when caged and hooked up to machines that put unrealistic demands on their bodies, causing swelling and injury to their breast resulting in infection.
Instead of addressing the injuries to the cow's breast, the inflammation, and painful infections antibiotics are given so dairy demands continue milking these beautiful creatures breaking the laws of nature.
Crowded dark chicken warehouses create unnatural environments to pack them in and increase egg quantities that also defy the laws of nature.
Animals subjected to overcrowding and production demands are exposed to unhealthy conditions causing illness. They two are then treated with drugs and antibiotics to serve the purpose of the almighty dollar. Again all the while defying the laws of nature.
Remnants of these drugs and antibiotics remain in the food on your grocery shelves. Avoid exposure by buying organic and antibiotic-free food.
The Take Away
Antibiotics and hormones are found in foods that are not organic or antibiotic and hormone free. It is important to check the labels of the food you buy and always opt for organic and antibiotic and hormone-free options.
Over recent years the demand for organic, antibiotic, and hormone-free options have grown so vigorously that prices have dropped considerably and availability has increased.
The Best Probiotics For Weight Loss FAQs
We understand it can be hard to process the flood of information regarding a healthy microbiome and gut flora as it can be mind-boggling.
We’ve created a comprehensive guide of frequently asked questions to help you build confidence in your knowledge of gut health, flora, microbiome, and the two major bacteria, bacteroidetes and firmicutes the one that contributes to weight loss and the other that can cause weight gain.
This guide will help you know what to do to build and support healthy gut flora and how to balance and support bacteroidetes for weight loss.
These frequently asked questions about how probiotics can contribute to weight gain, or loss will answer any lingering questions you may have.
We understand this is a lengthy blog article about how to lose weight with probiotics and yet we condensed it down as best we could without leaving out the vital details.
Please review this and study it at your leisure until you become well-versed in these facts.
We know everyone has different questions and concerns so check out the frequently asked questions and get clarity.
How does the gut flora affect weight loss?
Your gut bacteria help to break down food. Some bacteria are better at digestion, and converting food to energy while others are more conservative and store fat instead of burning it for immediate energy adding calories to our body and thereby increasing our weight. Theoretically, if our guts have more Firmicutes bacteria, it is harder to lose weight.
How does the gut help with weight loss?
There are two types of bacteria in your gut firmicutes are the type that can cause weight gain by storing fat and bacteroidetes which burn calories as immediate energy leaving none for storage.
What is the best gut flora for weight loss?
The strains of probiotics thought to reduce weight are of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium family or bacteroidetes.
How can I increase my gut flora for weight loss?
Eating a gut-friendly diet that contains plenty of fiber-rich foods that include soluble fiber, prebiotics, and fermented foods rich in probiotics helps the beneficial bacteria in your gut to thrive.
These are known as bacteroidetes and can be nourished by eating a high-fiber diet with lots of vegetables, nuts, and seeds as well as practicing intermittent fasting.
Research shows that eating foods that support bacteroidetes can lead to weight loss without counting calories or restricting how much you eat.
The Best Superfoods For Gut Health
- Leafy greens such as kale, chard, and spinach are powerful prebiotics and are high in vitamins C, K, and B complex, folic acid, beta carotene, iron, iodine, calcium, potassium, magnesium, sulfur, and chlorophyll. ...
- Greek Yoghurt
- Fermented Foods and Drinks such as kraut, kimchi, and kombucha
Final Notes On The Best Probiotics For Weight Loss - Change Your Metabolism
Facing the truth about your gut health and how it impacts your overall well-being and weight can be overwhelming and easy to shove to the back of your mind. But Don't! It is not complicated, it is merely a shift in your habits.
Information is useless if you don't take action. When you learn better do better! Remember it's an accumulation of small accomplishments/change that create real results. So just keep building the life you crave.
I'm the lucky writer who gets to share the truth and all our findings regarding the best probiotic, and the foods to support bacteroidetes the gut bacteria responsible for weight loss, and maintenance.
We are lucky to have such amazing facts to empower our life journey and do so with optimal health, and vitality, at our ideal weight.
We are all mere mortals and our bodies sometimes don't perform as they once did but do not chalk it up to aging. Our diet and a good probiotic are the building blocks for either good health or illness, disease, and weight gain.
I have always been at a healthy weight weighing very close to the weight from my high school days even while pregnant twice. But it is not genetics that has kept me slim. My family consists of those who struggle with their weight and inability to lose it, diabetes, and other weight-related issues.
When researching this HOT TOPIC I learned I have been doing everything right in terms of lean body mass.
- I have always been a dirty vegetarian and for many years a clean vegan.
- I love beans and have included beans in my diet all my life.
- I am a natural intermettint faster. I tend to eat only when I'm hungry and that is usually once a day in the late afternoon or evening.
- During my natural eating window of 2 to 4 hours daily, I eat a lot and this confuses people who witness me eating so much. They don't realize it is the one time I eat during a 24-hour period. They think I am just one of those people who can eat anything.
- I'm a Kombucha lover and have two one-gallon jugs atop my fridge at all times that I bottle and shelf adding my favorite ingredients, one brew with ginger and the other brew with sage, mint, and rosemary the first made from black tea while the second made from green tea.
- I also eat eggs, fish, chicken, and the occasional hamburger with fries. Meat is more of an occasional condiment sprinkled over my diet as in on a salad. One of my favorite dishes is a Mediterranean frozen veggie mix sauteed with olive and a bit of cast iron chicken cooked with olive oil and Dan-O's seasoning. It is SO good and sugar-free.
- I've never eaten sugar and in fact, have been known to say it is poison, that is refined white sugar.
Best Seasoning For Good Gut Flora
KeenKates favorite all-purpose seasoning
I now know the answer to my sister's question, "How do you eat so much and stay so thing?" and so do you.
I am confident about this report and all our findings. Now I share it with you so you too can forget about the worries and woes of feeling helpless to weight gain.
Be kind to yourself, allow yourself the time needed to embrace this new information, begin a probiotics regimen, and feed the good bacteria focusing on bacteroidetes for weight loss.
I am grateful you took the time to read my report, it means a lot! Thanks for stopping by and take good care of yourself for all those who know and love you.
Your Friend, Katie aka KeenKate :)